Lid open when firing?

Hi: 

I just got my new Skutt 818! However, when I read the manual I got confused-it wants me to prop the lid open until it reaches 1000 F (I don’t have down-deft vent). I think it sounds counter productive. I asked my distributor, he told me it’s to protect the elements and I only need to do it when bisque firing. Anyone heard and done it? Thanks!

No, you don't need to prop the lid. That's a holdover from the old manual kiln days and won't really do anything for the elements. It was a way to keep the kiln from heating too quickly on kilns that had poor low end control, and to allow moisture to escape. But if you just keep the top peep open for the entire firing it'll do the same thing and save energy.

On 10/7/2020 at 10:21 AM, neilestrick said:

if you just keep the top peep open for the entire firing it'll do the same thing and save energy.

Are you saying the top peep can be left open for all electric firings?  Mine is an L&L and I usually fire to  5 or 6. I'd like saving a bit on the electric bill if the results should be the same as when closed. 

12 hours ago, LeeU said:

Are you saying the top peep can be left open for all electric firings?  Mine is an L&L and I usually fire to  5 or 6. I'd like saving a bit on the electric bill if the results should be the same as when closed. 

If you do not have a downdraft vent, you can/should keep the top peep open through the entire firing. Oxygen is good in bisque and good for glazes. But if you have a downdraft vent then you need to keep them closed whenever the vent is running or it will spoil the draft of the vent. I doubt the cost difference would be significant with one peep open, and the benefits would outweigh the cost anyway.

Archived