very old bailey/coneart 2827-1????

Biglou13

i got volunteered to look at this kiln......     i've done some work on modern skutts  and L&L kilns.   this kiln is way before my time.  figured i'd ask the CA hive mind.     it has model k kiln sitter,  with digital brain  made by company long gone. checked continuity everything i could.  metered all the standard checks.     my wild  guess is transformer  or board/brain is dead, if controller is dead there is no hope.       is the 4-07-6024 mci transformer standard?  i could not see any nomeclature on this part.     i'm going to suggest that she get a modern kiln.    not that i would but someone suggested to her to get  bartlett control box? do you think converting this dinosaur is doable?  i doubt it would be worth it.

thanks in advance

transformer.jpg.94730c1683022d55c7de41dad49cb6d5.jpg

Looks like an older version of the center tap transformers that are used in most kilns. @Bill Kielb might know for sure. If you've got a meter you can test the outputs on the transformer, assuming you can plug the kiln in. No way to know without power. If the rest of the kiln is in good condition and the price is right, then a new $12 transformer and $300 controller could be a good investment. Might have to do a little work to make the new controller fit, though.

3 hours ago, Biglou13 said:

do you think converting this dinosaur is doable?  i doubt it would be worth it.

It’s a pretty standard transformer likely converting high voltage to 24VAC with a 12v center tap. (Very common for a great many kilns) Definitely something you can measure with a meter.

Before declaring this dead I would definitely check this has 24VAC on the outside contacts and 12vac between the center and either outside terminal ..........as well as make sure the primary voltage supplied is also present. Careful, testing around high voltage stuff!

@neilestrickis right. If the rest of the kiln is in good shape it’s pretty easy to convert and likely in the $300.00 range. Some additional pictures of kiln,  pictures of control board might  be helpful. Heck might have been converted already And you simply need to swap the board.

Archived