Watercolor finish on slipcastings

Mmplin

Hello! I'm doing slipcasting with mason stain colored slip and am now trying to create texture (all my castings look very flat). Is there any easy method to add this finish, almost like a watercolor that feels very natural/rustic? 

Screen-Shot-2020-08-19-at-8_38.55-PM.jpg.9ba2ca363c373f1928adac0c2e8a19fc.jpg

Thank you all for your help, it's been so valuable for me in learning :~)

Not sure how textured you want your castings to be but one way would be to add whatever texture you want before you use your mason stain. I have tried everything from painting the finished dry clay piece in places with shellac and sponging the clay from the areas in between. Or just using a wire brush or tool  to texture the piece before the final colored slip.  You can also use a sponge dipped in slip and dab it on the leather hard piece.  There is no one answer. Experiment around, Lot's of things work!

PS.. your castings look great to me!

You can water down commercial underglazes to get a watercolor look, or apply them and wipe them down to the strength you want. The can be applied at any stage of the process- leather hard, bone dry, or bisque. Just depends on what you're after. I'd make some small test pieces and start playing.

Archived