Clay recommendations for < 1900°F

meowthhh

Hi all!

I'm considering purchasing the Paragon Home Artist Kiln, which heats up to 1900°F, for start a little home studio. I'd love to know what types of clays could be bisque/glaze-fired at this temp. If it matters, I'm aiming to make simple dishware (plates, dishes, mugs). Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Will

Not a good choice of kilns for clay, sorry.  There's no clay good for tableware that matures at cone 06, and that kiln will only reach cone 06 maybe a few dozen times before you have to do a pricey element replacement.  You need a cone 10 kiln, not a china paint kiln.

Not knowing your experience/education in ceramics, I'll err on the side of caution and just mention that the terms "simple" and "dishware" are almost mutually exclusive. Mainly due to the degree of info you need for health and safety, and the legalities of same, for making forms to hold food and beverage. You can't just make the forms out of any clay, use any glaze, and ignore toxicity issues, even just for personal/family use.  You are responsible for having your clay/glazes properly tested--and a commercial maker just saying the product is "food safe" does not necessarily make it so-they are not liable-you are.  Perhaps consider doing some research on the making of dinnerware before launching a home studio for that purpose. A decent kiln is a huge expense, as is all the other equipment & tools/supplies.  Welcome to the forum--do some searches and you'll find other members who do dinnerware and have posted on the topic. 

Archived