Non firing sealant for bisque fired engobes (decorating slips)

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me please. I’ve made a few low fired earthenware slip sculptures which I’ve painted with coloured decorating slips (engobes) . I’m not glaze firing them, so was wondering if there is a type of non firing ‘wax or sealer’ that can be put on to the engobe bisqueware to seal it from dirty finger prints etc. I realise that the colour will likely darken with such an application but that is fine, I’m just trying to avoid it getting grubby. I’m U.K. based and any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Ali

p.s They are indoor sculptures:-) 

8 minutes ago, Abmid73 said:

Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me please. I’ve made a few low fired earthenware slip sculptures which I’ve painted with coloured decorating slips (engobes) . I’m not glaze firing them, so was wondering if there is a type of non firing ‘wax or sealer’ that can be put on to the engobe bisqueware to seal it from dirty finger prints etc. I realise that the colour will likely darken with such an application but that is fine, I’m just trying to avoid it getting grubby. I’m U.K. based and any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks, Ali

p.s They are indoor sculptures:-) 

Many spray products, urethane clears etc.... satin or gloss have been used successfully. Many use light even matte coat to preserve the texture more so than gloss but still provide protection.

3 hours ago, Abmid73 said:

Thanks Bill, So I should be looking for a polyurethane Matt or satin spray here in the U.K. then.  Would a paint on rather than a spray be as effective? 

I think it would, but brush marks are always a possibility so spray is easy and if sprayed lightly And evenly can be fairly invisible

Archived