Paragon DTC - 100C controller

I was wondering if these are reliable controllers? They're the first generation of digital controller by Paragon(that has the telephone style buttons) and I'm looking at buying a used kiln that has one. I couldn't find much information about them other than manuals. Are they known to run for a long time? Any serial issues anyone knows of? I'm just skeptical of anything "first generation" anything for fear that kinks still need to be worked out. Thoughts on what a good price would be for a 16"Wx22"D kiln with this controller?  The rest of the kiln looks to be in 9/10 condition. Thanks!

dtc100c.jpg

@AaronRotchadl I would buy it and replace the controller with a new one. Depending on just how old that one is, it may only be able to program one ramp setting, which is not ideal for any firing. If it is able to do multiple ramps, then you could use it until it dies, then replace it. But I would bet it will need replacing sooner than later. I would also rewire the whole thing if it hasn't been done. If you get a new controller, it will likely be cheaper to get one from Bartlett than from Paragon. 

If you're planning on firing to cone 6, make sure that kiln can go to at least cone 8, preferably cone 10. I'd offer them $300, explaining that the controller is obsolete and worthless and must be replaced, and go from there.

Archived