Throwing With Templates

Hello everyone,

While I understand the basic concept, I was hoping someone might have a video reference for the entire process. I would even welcome step by step instructions... for instance is the template applied to the vessel when you are close to the shape you envision and the walls are still relatively thick or am I off base ?

I don't use templates, but from what I've seen, they were used as the final 'adjustment' after everything was already pulled to thickness and the walls just needing to be moved into their final alignment. Perhaps others use them differently...

Hello everyone,

While I understand the basic concept, I was hoping someone might have a video reference for the entire process. I would even welcome step by step instructions... for instance is the template applied to the vessel when you are close to the shape you envision and the walls are still relatively thick or am I off base ?

I recently used a template to throw a series of 50 espresso cups. It worked very well for me. I first made the cylinder slightly higher than the finished piece, but finished thickness. I then applied the template at about a 45 degree angle to the cup as the wheel was turning, and slowly from the inside pushed outward towards the template, while at the same time carefully pushing the template inward, until the shape was established. I then trimmed off the top and finished the lip. Hope this helps.

Marla

Archived