no fire clay glaze question

alnilam

i used craft smart neutral clay and coated it with Sax gloss glaze and potters choice cone 5-6 glaze.  i'm not eating off these, just interested in knowing how hot and long i should put these in the kiln or even just a home kitchen oven?  thanks!

These glazes need to be fired to cone 6 (2200+ degrees).  The clay body doesn't state a firing range and claims to be air dry clay.  These may not work out.  

You will not be able to do anything with your oven. You may be able to air dry the clay and then paint it with acrylic paints.

All clay is not the same. There are several different firing ranges that clays are made to work in, and since that clay is not specifically labeled for firing, you need to figure out what it can handle. I would not fire your pot until you fire a small piece (like a marble) to see what it will do. You'll need to find someone with a kiln. I would first fire to bisque temp (cone 04, 1945F), and if it survives, then fire it again to cone 6 (2232F). Each test should be done with the marble in a small bowl made from clay that you know will survive. It also looks like the Sax gloss glaze is a low fire glaze, whereas the Potter's Choice is a cone 6 glaze, so there may be a problem there. I highly recommend you take a pottery class at the local community college or art center so you can learn more about the technical aspects of working with clay. Plus that will give you a chance to get your work fired safely.

Archived