writing words on commercial tiles and re-firing

BVS

I am a novice and am working on a project for a new Children's bathroom in a library.  We want to write phrases on commercial tiles, have them re-fired and then apply to the wall.  Can I make decals of some material or do I have to hand write each tile?  Can I write on glass tile as well as on ceramic tile?  What are the best materials to use for black or colored writing? . Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you’re re-firing commercial tiles, it helps to know what temperature they were originally, because you can’t use a product that fires hotter than that. In the other thread you were asking on the other day, I suggested China paint to another poster who had no previous ceramic experience and was used to being able to see her colours. They also fire to the lowest ceramic temperatures, so there wouldn’t need to be a lot of testing to figure that part out.  
If you have access to your own kiln and have a little experience, Stroke and Coat are another possibility, but it fires a bit higher and would need a test to make sure the glaze doesn’t change. If the tile and the S&C are compatible, you could then create die cut stencils with a Cricut or something similar, and use them to apply your script. 

If you need a lot of them, having a waterslide decal professionally printed could be a straightforward option too. Milestone Decal will do small runs, as will Forage Studios. 

Archived