plaster wedging table repair

Viki

The old plaster wedging tables in our guild studio are chipping around the edges, and worn down unevenly in the middle.  I'd like to pour new plaster on top (after removing all the loose pieces, of course).  Should I smooth the old plaster before adding a half inch or so on top?  Or should I rough it up so it adheres?  Other suggestions?

Several years ago I did put ¾ inch of new plaster on top of a very old 3 inch thick plaster wedging board.  It worked well until recently, when pieces started flaking off.  As I repaired the table again, I discovered my mistake from those years ago.

Back then, the ‘first’ pour of plaster was not sufficient to fill the space.  Within a half hour, I mixed up another batch and finished the pour, overlapping and levelling the surface.  So, the problem was that the two pours did not make for one working surface.  Through normal use, the overlap areas weakened and flaked.

Surprising to me, I was able to lift the entire ¾ topper in one piece. It did not adhere to the old plaster.  It is still very strong.  I’m going to cut it and use it for bats.

A few days ago, I cleaned the old surface once again, and poured a single pour of new plaster.  Letting harden for several days before using.  I’m optimistic it will last for a longer time than the last time.

Thanks for your thoughts. 

• 1 year later...

How do you remove the plaster?  I made a wedging table and the plaster was apparently too wet.  It now has quite a few gouges.  The plaster doesn’t flake, but the indents are more than annoying.  I would like to remove a few inches and pour more plaster. Suggestions?

Archived