Clay Stuck to Work Surface

Hello, 

Does anyone have any advice on what to do when the clay you're working with gets stuck to a work surface? 

I've made a sculpture which has become stuck to the table I was working on. I don't know whether to try and use steel wire or wait to see if the clay will naturally separate from the table when it dries.  I really don't want to try and use steel wire! In my experience it always damages the work as I can never cut it evenly. Does anyone have any experience of dealing with this situation? Usually I would have placed newspaper underneath but in my haste I forgot! I don't want to try and make it again because I've spent about 20 hours on it :-S

Help!

C

Unless the table is absorbent it's not going to let go as it dries, the bottom will just stay moist.  I'd wire it off and plop it onto a bat or wareboard or newspaper like you said.  Maybe practice wiring off lumps of clay, you should be able to do it without damaging anything

On 2/5/2020 at 6:27 PM, Rockhopper said:

If you try a wire, make sure you're pushing the wire away from you, rather than pulling toward you.

When pushing away, the natural motion also pushes the wire down against the table - but when pulling, most people will have a tendency to lift up as they bring it closer to their body.   (Made a lot of 'tilted pots' before I learned that one.)

Hmmm....never heard that before. Thank you, I will try that. 

Betty

Archived