Nephaline Syenite vs Syenite

jafa5

I have a few rock quarries an hour or so from home that extract Syenite for road construction, but the guys I've spoken to on the phone don't know if its nephaline syenite, to be fair they just called it rock and had to check if it was Syenite.

I'm just waiting on time off work to run down and pick up a trailer load of dust to test, but in the mean time...  Does anyone know what the effects would be in a clay body or glaze if its Syenite without a Nepheline component?  

A reduced amount of feldspar minerals?

Cheers,

Liam

18 minutes ago, jafa5 said:

I have a few rock quarries an hour or so from home that extract Syenite for road construction, but the guys I've spoken to on the phone don't know if its nephaline syenite, to be fair they just called it rock and had to check if it was Syenite.

I'm just waiting on time off work to run down and pick up a trailer load of dust to test, but in the mean time...  Does anyone know what the effects would be in a clay body or glaze if its Syenite without a Nepheline component?  

A reduced amount of feldspar minerals?

Cheers,

Liam

I would think a syenite would be fairly similar to neph sy but more feldsparish since it has up to 10% quartz, whereas neph sy is supposed to be quite low in quartz.

Maybe you can get an analysis done so you can use glaze calculation software to substitute it into recipes.

I was lucky enough to get some time with one of the geotech guys on site and they noted that its unlikely to have nephaline as a component from the Coromandel area (New Zealand) so substitutions would need to be made using a local feldspar - he is now finding me a local source of feldspar or feldpathic sand that might do the job :)

1 hour ago, jafa5 said:

I was lucky enough to get some time with one of the geotech guys on site and they noted that its unlikely to have nephaline as a component from the Coromandel area (New Zealand) so substitutions would need to be made using a local feldspar - he is now finding me a local source of feldspar or feldpathic sand that might do the job :)

That's awesome!

Archived