Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About jafa5

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 04/19/1971

Profile Information

  • Location
    Matakana, New Zealand
  • Interests
    Fermenting, brewing, distilling and curing meat

Recent Profile Visitors

481 profile views
  1. Thanks Liam, you're awesome! I have a small sample coming and will use it but given the extra risk won't pursue this any further. That said, I might half the sample and fire the second half as a dry powder to 300 or 350c to decompose the hydroxide so i'm left with straight cobalt oxide. Mark, yes it's a lot cheaper in NZ but not worth the extra risk. Mostly I'm just wanting to learn more about the chemistry, which is fascinating. I never did it at school unfortunately so a deep dive now which is cool. Mostly i'm interested in firing what I find locally in NZ and from
  2. Thanks for the quick responses guys, really appreciated. I'll see if I can add it to Matrix and research "stoichiometry', that's a new one haha. I hadn't thought that the solubility would increase the toxicity risk but guessing hydroxide makes it soluble? Makes sense and probably why it's been mixed that way so farmers can spread it easily. Will check with the chemical company. I'm not in any rush if you do get a chance to stoichiometrisize it We're currently renovating an old bungalow, so pottery is way down the list of important jobs, when the boss says she needs the bathroo
  3. During a search for sodium molybdate I came across some cobalt variants in rural chemical stocks. I understand that cobalt hydroxide decomposes to cobalt oxide at 168 degrees c (thanks wiki) but I don't know how the decomposition will effect the glaze or how the hydroxide will effect the glaze mix. I'm about the find out but anyone have any understanding of it and she'd any light before I start? Cheers, Liam
  4. I was lucky enough to get some time with one of the geotech guys on site and they noted that its unlikely to have nephaline as a component from the Coromandel area (New Zealand) so substitutions would need to be made using a local feldspar - he is now finding me a local source of feldspar or feldpathic sand that might do the job :)
  5. I've sent an email this morning and requested an analysis sheet (with an example), fingers crossed. Rocky dust is ok Curt, I have a ball mill to make it into a fine powder.
  6. I have a few rock quarries an hour or so from home that extract Syenite for road construction, but the guys I've spoken to on the phone don't know if its nephaline syenite, to be fair they just called it rock and had to check if it was Syenite. I'm just waiting on time off work to run down and pick up a trailer load of dust to test, but in the mean time... Does anyone know what the effects would be in a clay body or glaze if its Syenite without a Nepheline component? A reduced amount of feldspar minerals? Cheers, Liam
  7. Great reading in this thread, I have access to heaps of clay as we are building 18km of motorway through the north island in New Zealand. Had some very good results to date with clays firing happily to cone 13 along with a few explosions of course. Nice to start understanding how I can run some tests in an organised manner instead my usual, rougher manner... Thanks for sharing and good luck with the Hudson Clay!
  8. Hey guys, I've been lucky enough to pick up a medium sized ball mill, it was used previously as a stone polisher I think. It has a 1/2 hp geared motor and octagonal body 500mm long and 450mm deep. I was hoping to use it to pummel some of the local materials down to dust for use in glaze and clay bodies. Materials include, sands, pumice, shales and basalt rocks for the most part. Unfortunately I dont know enough on the topic to phrase a question haha. I understand that you use bigger balls to crush bigger items based on their impact and reduce the ball size to get finer mater
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.