How to find a kiln near me?

Hey!

I am currently living in Stockholm and I am searching to rent a kiln in order to bake my glazed painted tiles. Do you know where to search? Most of the ceramic studio do not let me bake in their kiln without making the tiles there and using their paintings. Thank you in advance for your answers! 

9 minutes ago, Michalis said:

Hey!

I am currently living in Stockholm and I am searching to rent a kiln in order to bake my glazed painted tiles. Do you know where to search? Most of the ceramic studio do not let me bake in their kiln without making the tiles there and using their paintings. Thank you in advance for your answers! 

That seems to be the rule at most places because they're concerned about their equipment.  You can try asking a local potters guild, join a local pottery Facebook group and connect with other local potters to see if you can share some kiln space with them.

There are many good reasons for not firing pieces for someone who just walks in looking for a kiln. There are so many variables in ceramics that someone of limited experience could easily do something that would damage or ruin a kiln. Only firing for students, or with materials from the studio is the best way to keep one's equipment safe, so you will probably have a difficult time finding someone to fire your work. Liam has some good suggestions, but don't rule out joining a studio or signing up for a class. It's a great way to meet other artists and build your skills, and you'll get your work fired. As for the work you've already made, once you're in the studio, they may be willing to fire for you for a fee, as long as you can prove the firing temp of the materials you used.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived