Can I single fire pieces using Mayco S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing glaze? Dickblicks site reads yes, but on the bottle reads to apply to bisque, and not greenware.

aliceb

Hello,

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Can I single fire pieces using Mayco S-2101 Crystal Clear Brushing glaze? Dickblicks site reads yes, but on the bottle it reads to apply to bisque, and not greenware. I reads to apply to cone 04 bisque. Then dry thoroughly and fire to shelf cone 06.

I am using a low fire clay body, (cream white earthenware) the cone number of the mature clay is 06-04. I am using a Manual Kiln with sitter. 

I plan on letting the pieces dry to bone dry before applying the clear glaze.

Does anyone know which brand makes a clear glaze that can be applied to either bone dry, greenware or wet clay? 

Thank you very much !

@aliceb, one of the things that is repeated all the time with ceramics is "try it and see". There are just too many variables to answer your question with a definite yes or no answer. Try a piece and see how it comes out. Fire your kiln slowly. I haven't come across any manufactured glazes that specifically say they can be used for single firing.

Archived