Amaco velvetunderglaze

Hi,

I have a question about amaco velvetunderglaze. It’s my first time to use this product. I applied velvetunderglaze to my bisque 3 coats without any glaze over it and then fired to 1230℃. But I’m not quite satisfied with the final result. Is it possible to reapply several coats of another different color velvetunderglaze to the same piece to modify the color and then refire to 1200℃ ?

Thanks in advance for helping !  :)

Pei Yun

Actually Pei I had same problem...various firing temps tested but never been able to get a 'fur' look as it suggests, so you are not alone . I bought quite a few at the time so just use them as normal underglaze colours with a transparent glaze on top.  I'too would be happy to hear from anyone who has managed to get a 'velvet' finish  -  tips welcome.. :)

On 10/13/2019 at 7:49 PM, Pei Yun said:

Is it possible to reapply several coats of another different color velvetunderglaze to the same piece to modify the color and then refire to 1200℃ ?

You can try.  Warm the piece first, it helps the underglaze to dry and stick to the now non-absorbent piece.  If you don't like what you have, you have nothing to lose.

Archived