Best technique for thin-walled lighting fixture

I am wanting to make a thin-walled balloon lighting fixture. The piece will be shaped like a balloon fully(ish) enclosing the bulb, but the walls would have to be quite thin and delicate to be translucent enough to work even as a muted lighting fixture without having to poke holes all over it. I was thinking the best way to achieve this is sculpting the balloon, making a mold, and slip casting. What are your thoughts/suggestions?

My suggestion is to use paper clay. Paper clay will allow you to make much thinner walls that don’t fall apart. Plus the small voids left behind when the paper is burned off in the firing will help make the fixture translucent. 

I agree with you that making a mold and slip casting would give you the most desirable result. Any other method will fall short of slip casting when it comes to uniformity and thinness imho. One thing to consider is the heat that can build up in an enclosed light fixture. If you use an incandescent bulb and don't have any venting it will get hot. Also since the form will be round on all sides and translucent porcelain is usually somewhat pyroplastic, you might consider making a cradle of sorts to support the piece in the firing (similar to th way bone china is fired).  Best of luck. I hope you post pictures of the process and results!

Archived