pehatine v cmc

Hello,

Here in the UK and europe have a glaze suspension liquid which goes by the name of pehatine.  I am thinking of using it to make brush-on glazes, but I have plenty of experience of the CMC and the biocide method. I like the idea of the pehatine as it's so much simpler, but I have seen glazes with it that look a little thin. I am trying to do a bit of research as well, so what is the nearest match in the USA, so I can read other peoples experiences. I know that is has a bentonite ingredient in it. If you have used it, I would like to know your thoughts. And also, what is your favourite brush-on consistency? mine is 'mayco', that to me is the perfect thickness. I am only asking just in case it's me who has the wrong idea of what a good brush-on should be.

3 hours ago, noggins said:

Hello,

Here in the UK and europe have a glaze suspension liquid which goes by the name of pehatine.  I am thinking of using it to make brush-on glazes, but I have plenty of experience of the CMC and the biocide method. I like the idea of the pehatine as it's so much simpler, but I have seen glazes with it that look a little thin. I am trying to do a bit of research as well, so what is the nearest match in the USA, so I can read other peoples experiences. I know that is has a bentonite ingredient in it. If you have used it, I would like to know your thoughts. And also, what is your favourite brush-on consistency? mine is 'mayco', that to me is the perfect thickness. I am only asking just in case it's me who has the wrong idea of what a good brush-on should be.

Slight thread drift, but there is more info on the contents of p209 pehatine in https://www.hot-clay.com/media/attachment/file/v/i/vitraglaze_mixing_medium_msds.pdf

In % weight

Water                                                     >90
Natriumcarboymethylcellulose 0.1  – 5.0
Calcium bentonite                           0.1  – 5.0
Hydrocolloid preparation            0.1  – 3.1  from the given CAS this is Propylene Glycol
Chlorxylenol                                      0.05 – 0.1 a disinfectant
Tin oxide superlite                           0.01 – 0.1Propylene Glycol

Love the wide ranges

PS The sheet for pehatine 209 (no p) is at https://www.milton-bridge.co.uk/images/pdf/Pehatine-data-sheet.pdf
Looks very similar, but dropped the propylene glycol and added a 2nd biocide

MSDS are not required to give specific percentages, because that would give away proprietary formulas. They are simply meant to show ballpark concentrations for medical treatment.

Looks like a CMC/bentonite combo. It should work well. I worked for a commercial glaze company for a couple years, and we used a mix of CMC and VeeGum T. As for the consistency to mix it to, that's all personal preference. I prefer glazes that are more fluid, less gelled.

Archived