Odd issue from glaze firing

Hi Potters,

I've just unpacked my glaze firing and have encountered something I haven't seen before. I have attached two pictures. Essentially there is a brown-ish-grey shadow/mark across the base and in the same area on the top glazed surface the clay appears to have turned a cooler white.  The dish is about 30cm x 20cm and is flat across the base. This piece was placed on the bottom shelf of my electric kiln and had 5cm/1.9inch props between the shelf sitting above. All shelves are silicon carbide. Clay was thoroughly wedged using stack and slam method.  I fired to cone 6. All other pieces in the kiln fired well and do not have any signs of this issue. I am hoping to get to the bottom of it before undertaking another glaze firing.

Were my shelves packed too tightly together or could this be the kiln wash? 

Very odd and have not seen this before and keen to hear ideas about possible cause.

IMG_5992-1.jpg.97b66bc6d71edc37f765ff28210a3371.jpgIMG_5991.jpg.ccfc883ab18f275cb5d447834bafd0a8.jpg

Was it a new shelf? I've seen new silicon carbide shelves do that.

It could also be related to temperature, although I'm not exactly sure what exactly would be the cause. I say that because flat bottomed platter at the bottom of the kiln on a short shelf is going to run cold in the middle. Ideally, the bottom shelf should have tall pieces, not short ones.

Archived