file under philoophy

It seems to me, ceramics falls under 2 basic philosophies.  Time and space.  Seems to me like there should be a third.    Time as pertains to music, which is nothing but timing.   On time/not on time.

When to call leather hard, then to trim, when to call bone dry,  When to call a cone down.  Obviously, all potters understand timing. 

Secondly, distance/space.   A poorly fit lid, is not a well fit lid.  A 1/32 is not a 1/16th.   No one understands this better than wood workers.  A box is either square. or it's not.  No room for interpretation.    

The material /(wood) l brought it's all to the table.  A spalted maple took 100 years to come to reality,  Are you equal?  Clay doesn't ask this of us.

I only bring these 2 examples up, because I have found them to be my de limiters.  I have personally failed both as a musician and a wood worker, which has forced me to find the commonality, which I find to be clay.  What a long strange trip it's been.

Well, if none of this makes any sense, you're in the majority 

3 hours ago, CactusPots said:

Are you equal?  Clay doesn't ask this of us.

Well, I am not convinced that clay does not ask this of us--of me, anyway, because it seems to me, in my little world, that it most surely does!!! I am wary of qualifies like "all" "none" "either/or" "everybody" "nobody" etc.  By the way, what is the third basic philosophy?

8 hours ago, CactusPots said:

It seems to me, ceramics falls under 2 basic philosophies.  Time and space.  Seems to me like there should be a third.    Time as pertains to music, which is nothing but timing.   On time/not on time.

When to call leather hard, then to trim, when to call bone dry,  When to call a cone down.  Obviously, all potters understand timing. 

Secondly, distance/space.   A poorly fit lid, is not a well fit lid.  A 1/32 is not a 1/16th.   No one understands this better than wood workers.  A box is either square. or it's not.  No room for interpretation.    

The material /(wood) l brought it's all to the table.  A spalted maple took 100 years to come to reality,  Are you equal?  Clay doesn't ask this of us.

I only bring these 2 examples up, because I have found them to be my de limiters.  I have personally failed both as a musician and a wood worker, which has forced me to find the commonality, which I find to be clay.  What a long strange trip it's been.

Well, if none of this makes any sense, you're in the majority 

I’m good with your perspective but see most of it as to what personal level I can achieve learning it. The clay in my hand took an unimaginable amount of time for the materials to form (Geology) and may very well be the result of chance and the universe so for me, no competing with that even with my finest work. For me it’s a question of how much can I learn and master reasonably well. The learning part is what I actually enjoy, the mastery part is just comparative and can be based on others standards as well as my own. Hopefully my standards exceed average expectations.

Archived