Cone 6 packs for EZ fire jewelry kiln glaze test/glaze temp

I am looking to do a glaze test in a manual EZfire jewelry kiln. What cones should I put into the cone pack? I am looking to fire to cone 6, with a small size orton cone. The max temp for the kiln is listed at 2300 degrees. I am also wondering how to raise the firing temp of Duncan concepts clear dipping glaze from Cone 06 to cone 6, Is this possible? Continental clay in Minneapolis suggests the clear is fine to overfire to cone 6, does anyone have experience with this or advice? Thanks!

Small or junior cones are typically used in the kiln sitter but can be used in cone packs on shelves. From Orton: "They require mounting in cone holders or plaques at an 8° angle and a width of 15/16 of the cone exposed above the cone holder. Small Cones used on the kiln shelf deform at about 9°F before Large or Self-Supporting Cones of the same number."

If you are firing to cone 6 then you would use cones 5,6 and 7. 

If you try and fire the cone 06 glaze to cone 6 I would strongly suggest doing a test first with a waste piece of clay with a rim on it underneath the glazed piece to catch any possible glaze runoff. 

11 minutes ago, Min said:

Small or junior cones are typically used in the kiln sitter but can be used in cone packs on shelves. From Orton: "They require mounting in cone holders or plaques at an 8° angle and a width of 15/16 of the cone exposed above the cone holder. Small Cones used on the kiln shelf deform at about 9°F before Large or Self-Supporting Cones of the same number."

If you are firing to cone 6 then you would use cones 5,6 and 7. 

If you try and fire the cone 06 glaze to cone 6 I would strongly suggest doing a test first with a waste piece of clay with a rim on it underneath the glazed piece to catch any possible glaze runoff. 

I am doing a test fire in the jewelry kiln with some test tiles, but the kiln is full manual, including shutoff, so I wasn't sure about the cone pack. Thanks!

3 hours ago, StudentMolly said:

Duncan concepts clear dipping glaze from Cone 06 to cone 6, Is this possible? Continental clay in Minneapolis suggests the clear is fine to overfire to cone 6, does anyone have experience with this or advice?

A colleague and I fire a  cone 04  Amaco clear glaze to cone 10 reduction.  Never have had a problem of the glaze running off the test tiles or pots.  Our conclusion is that while the glaze starts to melt at cone 04, the clay body has not begun to close the pores enough to prevent the glaze from being absorbed into the clay body.  

A catch slab or 'cookie' is always prudent when testing unknown glazes. 

LT

Archived