viewing cones

I did a cone 10 reduction firing today and also made a video showing the use of a LED flashlight to view the witness cones. I've done 2 firings using this method. Actually the video is not as clear as viewing the cones in person. I hope someone else can try it and see if they can get the same results. An electric kiln should be easier to see since the atmosphere within the kiln is cleaner. The brand name of the flashlight is TechLite, I bought it from Costco in a 3 pack. You can Google the name to see it.

Aloha, Ken

View video at this address.

http://www.flickr.co...s/67879015@N05/

I did a cone 10 reduction firing today and also made a video showing the use of a LED flashlight to view the witness cones. I've done 2 firings using this method.

Ken, thanks for sharing that interesting video of the LED light. I keep one of those lights next to my bed.

Several years ago I used a powerful little flashlight--probably the same type you have--to view the witness cones in an electric kiln. I was unsuccessful, though, because the peephole was so small. I didn't have enough room to shine the light and look into the peephole. Perhaps a smaller light would work.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I did a cone 10 reduction firing today and also made a video showing the use of a LED flashlight to view the witness cones. I've done 2 firings using this method.

Ken, thanks for sharing that interesting video of the LED light. I keep one of those lights next to my bed.

Several years ago I used a powerful little flashlight--probably the same type you have--to view the witness cones in an electric kiln. I was unsuccessful, though, because the peephole was so small. I didn't have enough room to shine the light and look into the peephole. Perhaps a smaller light would work.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Arnold,

You should get the TechLite it is a new technology flashlight the old ones are not bright enough.

Aloha, Ken

That looks like an excellent way to see them - I will try this at my next firing! Does it make a difference to the light (in your experience) if it's a reduction or oxidation firing?

Cheers...

Stuart,

I'm not sure what you mean by the "difference to the light". I'm sure you'll be able to see the cones easier in a electric firing if thats what you mean.

Aloha, Ken

• 4 weeks later...

Having done a firing today, I tried it with a normal incandescent torch, as I could not find my LED torch, and it didn't do that much to enhance the cone. I will look for my LED torch for next time!

What did work somewhat was blowing through the spyhole (to cool down the cone, which was directly in front) - this enhanced the contrast enough to see the cone. It could have also been that my eyes had adjusted by that time.

The kiln was approaching cone 9 at that stage - in case you're wondering, it's electric.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Archived