Question of interest

These are not ceramic artworks so I didn't want to post more than one without asking if anyone was interested in looking. This is crystal from a studio located in Nian, China carved from a Brazilian flawless 5 ton quartz crystal. The master studied the stone for 2 years and carving and polishing another 5 years by a team of a dozen carvers working under the direction of the master. These works are never seen by the public and are only owned by private collectors, although some government museums may have some of his work in their collections

IMG_1632.JPG

2 hours ago, shiyu huang said:

ummm...i  supposed  you  are talking about the place of nan an  , china. this is artist's  "twitter"  ,it may helps you :   weibo.com/u/2261353745

Hi shiyu haung, nice to chat with you. i'm not sure about that, i think you are thinking of someone else although my knowledge is spotty. id never claim to be an expert or knowledgeable in any of this as my Chinese language skills are too limited, often I'm in a complete communication blackout. my friends have taken me to what I'm told are many of the best jade carvers studios in a bunch of different cities... nan an doesnt ring a bell for me, i very well could have been there and just don't remember. I've looked at touched/held, seen the carvers at work a lot and been upstairs and into the back room many times, but i always call my friends about anything to do with jade and i take them for their word. they are fantastic friends that I've been way too drunk with on bijou over meals that lasted half the knight, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

this artists name is wyuingwen, his studio is in the city of (i spelled it wrong, not nian...sounds that way) Ninyang. I'm told his work is on utube so the pictures of his work are more accessible now then when i first visited the studio. the studio reminded me of an industrial 3 story if i remember correctly school looking building, surrounded by his organic gardens. we snuck out into the garden with the artist and picked fresh vegetables to eat with our lunch.

2 hours ago, shiyu huang said:

ummm...i  supposed  you  are talking about the place of nan an  , china. this is artist's  "twitter"  ,it may helps you :   weibo.com/u/2261353745

i just checked the website you posted, i know his student in one of the pictures with him, we had dinner with several of the carvers one night at a place you probably know of. it was a very interesting brick vault that I'm told is where Chairman Mao made first plans for the revolution. the food was very wholesome and organic, some of my other friends were there also, (I'm going out on a limb spelling here)  there that night do you know of; Hiaobo, Guohao, Hiao Qiang or Zhang Kezhao my spelling is probably off on all of these as i depend on my wife to much for help. they carve mostly dushan yu and hetian yu, their studios are also in Ninyang.

also i think, but could be wrong without checking, most of the work you see for sale there is student work. we looked at some of the artists personal carvings in the office of some guy that owns a bunch of hotels, we were having tea in his office and i was told in broken english that these big major pieces went for prices in the millions of dollars and that it took connections and not just money to get your hands on one, again the disclaimer i could have been confused, ill blame it on the bijou.

link to the artist in one of the display rooms at his studio, out the studio picking fruit and out to dinner with the gang... the other's in this picture are of his students, my friend the writer and the little lady in the yellow to is called, Panda by her friends, she works for the Shanghai police Department and is the assistant Chief of immigration and a lifelong best friend of my wife.

https://ibb.co/j7jWcS
https://ibb.co/fgKWcS
https://ibb.co/b9DeWn

2 hours ago, 1515art said:

i just checked the website you posted, i know his student in one of the pictures with him, we had dinner with several of the carvers one night at a place you probably know of. it was a very interesting brick vault that I'm told is where Chairman Mao made first plans for the revolution. the food was very wholesome and organic, some of my other friends were there also, (I'm going out on a limb spelling here)  there that night do you know Sho Bo, Gouha, Sho Chan or Zhang Kerzow my spelling is probably off on all of these as i depend on my wife to much for help. they carve mostly dushan yu and hetian yu, their studios are also in Ninyang.

in actually, I never know too much about jade artist . and i'm just going to search this pic after read your post and wondering if i may help haha :) . we do talking about same one , wyuingwen(仵应汶), I’m just started to find out  about jade craft,it look beautiful。you should know about that city much than me,i'm living in Jingdezheng and never been  Ninyang  before。by the way I'm glad  to know  that you seems really enjoy this experience ,people make alot of friends by drink alcohol,they sounds really good。

2 hours ago, 1515art said:

link to the artist in one of the display rooms at his studio, out the studio picking fruit and out to dinner with the gang... the other's in this picture are of his students, my friend the writer and the little lady in the yellow to is called, Panda by her friends, she works for the Shanghai police Department and is the assistant Chief of immigration and a lifelong best friend of my wife.

https://ibb.co/j7jWcS
https://ibb.co/fgKWcS
https://ibb.co/b9DeWn

The room with chairMao looks really awsome。and you are right ,most of the work you see for sale there is student work,it‘s widly phenomenon in craft area of china , master of some craft teach student,and student produce ,master running the company ,it‘s  deal 。

On 4/18/2018 at 10:48 PM, shiyu huang said:

i'm living in Jingdezheng 

Shiyu Huang,  China is an amazing country, so beautiful and rich in history and culture and everyone I've met has been very friendly and welcoming, I feel lucky to have been able to experience a little bit. I have a friend in Jingdezheng that has a public ceramics school and studio, she also has a ceramics school in Shanghai, I've thrown clay a little bit in the studio in Shanghai, but have only visited the studio in Jingdezheng.  Wish I could remember the name of the studio, you may have seen it or even worked there?

Im planning on traveling to China next year, my motherinlaw's 80th birthday celebration  and if so will probably spend a little time in a few ceramic spots including  Jingdezheng, if time permits perhaps we can share a cup of tea and a ceramic story.  In the mean time I wish you best of luck, Clark

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2018 at 2:38 AM, 1515art said:

Shiyu Huang,  China is an amazing country, so beautiful and rich in history and culture and everyone I've met has been very friendly and welcoming, I feel lucky to have been able to experience a little bit. I have a friend in Jingdezheng that has a public ceramics school and studio, she also has a ceramics school in Shanghai, I've thrown clay a little bit in the studio in Shanghai, but have only visited the studio in Jingdezheng.  Wish I could remember the name of the studio, you may have seen it or even worked there?

Im planning on traveling to China next year, my motherinlaw's 80th birthday celebration  and if so will probably spend a little time in a few ceramic spots including  Jingdezheng, if time permits perhaps we can share a cup of tea and a ceramic story.  In the mean time I wish you best of luck, Clark

the lady you talking about may be Caroline Cheng ,who running the pottery workshop in china beijing ,shanghai and  jingdezheng。she  almost  make  a  big  change  in jingdezheng and  inspire me very much:)

I’m glad  to know that you are  going to china next year,we may have a tea in caroline cheng‘s coffeeshop I look forward to hearing from you soon.

best wishes. Huang

Archived