I am looking to build a propane gas kiln that I hope to push to stoneware temps.  Here's the thing I have never built a kiln and if it gets to technical I may never build it. But I need a kiln and an electric set-up strains the budget. I think I could do this for about a grand.

I am looking to make it about 27 x27x27 with a 6" domed removable top for loading. I figure just about 11.5 cubic ft. interior space. I will be using 2"x4x9 firebrick and fiber mat for the top.   A Ward MR100 for my burner

I started reading about building a kiln and got lost with the chimney construction  and control of the exit gasses and where in my kiln do I put the flue and at what height top or bottom?  How tall a chimney and what diameter, how best to construct the damper. 

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated 

Point me in a direction 

@postalpotter you've asked a very big question. Maybe more than we can really discuss here. I highly recommend reading some kiln building books. I'd start with Olsen, but there are others out there, too.

Are those soft brick or hard brick? And why 2"? 2.5 or 3 are standard.

How do you plan to make the removable dome top? That in itself is a very complicated feature.

For one burner, I'd plan on doing a crossdraft, where the burner blows in along one wall, and the exit flue is on the other wall. The problem with 27x27 is that you'll need about 4" for the firebox and another 2" (using the 2" bricks you have) for the bag wall, and another inch or two space before the shelves. So about 8" of that square will no be for loading post, which leaves you with 19", which is an odd size for kiln shelves. What size shelves do you plan to use?

Do you know how to weld? You'll need to weld the frame.

Get in touch with Mel Jacobson at https://21stcenturykilns.com/ 
He has an excellent book and his CM article from a few years ago provides a well proven design for a DIY gas (natural gas or propane) kiln -- his instructions are almost a brick by brick list.  Mel  will be at NCECA next week. 
You can also do an internet search for  the Minnesota Flat Top (MFT) Kiln.  Several years ago there were multiple  sites where  the MFT design and article was available for download.  
LT

@Magnolia Mud Research that's a great idea! I don't usually like MFT kilns, because that top isn't really any easier to build than an arch, and in many ways it's more complicated. And arches are much stronger. But for a small kiln it's great, if you know how to weld the corner brackets. With a kiln as small as this, you could do a MFT without running rod through the bricks, just compression at the corners and mortared bricks. I've got an electric kiln lid done that way, but even bigger than what @postalpotter planning. It would be simple enough to rig up a hoist system to  raise it up for loading and unloading.

Archived