Partially wiped off glaze finish, cone 6

Kneth

I like the look of this mug where the glaze is partially wiped off. It's a nice darkened red sheen. Is there a way to get a similar look without the waste? On some pieces a smoother sheen would be preferable. Is there something  for cone 6 that would produce this nice toasty look?

Mug.jpg

I'm thinking this is two different glazes, one on the outside and one on the inside. To get the ring around the rim one would dip the pot that far after the inside and outside has been glazed.

The rim has three different glazes on it.  I'm interested in the area below that, which had a nutmeg glaze that I wiped off. It remains in the grooves, and is mostly gone in some spots. The sweet spots are partially wiped off, but not totally removed.  So, any way to get that look without wiping off glaze? Thanks!

I think if you have a finish you like if worth a little bit of wasted glaze.  You will have wasted a a lot of valuable time trying to figure out how to save glaze.  You could try putting on a thinner coat the then wiping it.   I don't think that Nutmeg is a very expensive glaze to make.   Denice

Kneth-

are you dipping or brushing your glaze? If dipping, just stroke across it with your fingers or palm just after you pull it out of your glaze bucket ( before the glaze has a chance to firm and dry. If brushing, the only way I can think of, without wiping it off after it drys, is to apply the glaze in uneven layers.

Regards,

fred

Good suggestions already given above. Another possible solution is to selectively wet the pot first. I like to dampen an entire pot first when I want an all over thin wash of glaze. You could try wetting your pot in selective areas only, with a big paint brush and some water. Then dunk the pot quickly before the wet areas can dry, within a few minutes of the selective wetting. 

Again, I’ve only this wth an entire pot, so my suggestion is somewhat speculative. 

• 2 weeks later...

One if my fav techniques.  No substitute really, except you can try to brush or slip trail into the groove and wipe excess.  But, it really is different when you wipe glaze off the whole pot, because some small amount of glaze stays behind on the raised areas. 

Archived