How to Replace Ferro Frit 3249

kraythe

I have a recipe for a low expansion glossy clear that might fit my impossible 6.0 COE Cone 5 Porcelain but my supplier doesnt carry Ferro Frit 3249. I am wondering if it is even possible to schange it with something else. Any ideas? Or am I pretty much stuck ordering it online and waiting? 

59ebd1bb2a43c_LEGlossy.PNG.6b3dbcb0a9de5ba7e15d36e93ef5d99e.PNG

Plunk this in to your program and see how it compares. The MgO won't be as fluid as it's not fritted but I use a very close version of this and it works for me. 

Wollastonite               5.70
 EP Kaolin                23.70
 Talc                      3.30
 Silica                   32.80
 Minspar                  12.60
 Gerstley Borate          19.50
 Dolomite                  2.40

edit: this is a low expansion glaze, it will likely shiver and or dunt on typical stoneware bodies. Due diligence needed to test for this. COE can be raised if necessary.

Is this a cone 6 recipie? I dont know how to determine that.  I will try, What about replacing the MG with Mg Carbonate (MgCO3 I think) 

Wow ... talk about low expansion. I think Id have to push it up or the clay would be under too much tension. Might be worth a try, too bad I don't have any GB. Though I have all the rest and my supplier is closed tomorrow :/ I knew I should have bought some GB. 

59ebe97c63510_MinsCLear.PNG.0f9315572117973bc2d7a24f1ea21c8e.PNG

Yes, it's Cone 6, since yours was I figured that's what you were looking for.

Your recipe COE is 5.8, mine is 5.7 that's a very tiny difference. 

Play around with the recipe, you can supply the boron with a number of frits or GB substitutes like Gillespie Borate etc, see what you have in your studio and work it in. If I can make a suggestion, start with supplying the boron then go to the  fluxes, balance the alumina and silica last. If you want to supply the MgO with magnesium carb then sure try that. More than one material can supply the necessary oxides, play with what you have.

If the COE of the clay is too much lower than the clay then maybe shivering will be an issue?  Would be interested to know if you end up having this problem.

I think Min has suggested a good strategy for attacking the adjustment in stages.

Archived