Please tell me I'm not crazy...

Sheryl Leigh

So, I have this wonderful woman who wants to donate some (hard-as-a-rock) clay to my studio.  So far, so good.  

She says it's porcelain. I'm cool with that!

She insists it's low-fire.  I thought all porcelain was high fire, until I was introduced to ^6 porcelain, but that's certainly not low fire.... maybe she means lower-than-high-fire?

She said it is Mount Angel porcelain, and now I'm really scratching my head 'cause I can't find that anywhere on the web.

Any ideas?

Unless you have a pugmill, lots of buckets, and free time I doubt it will be financially sensible to go through with it. It can be a lot of work to reclaim clay if you don't have a good set up. To contradict myself I would probably do it depending on the circumstances. I've never heard of the clay but that doesn't mean much. You could take a small chunk of the clay, place it in a bowl made of high fire clay and fire it to cone 6 and 10, if possible. The absorption of the fired clay/just looking at it will give you an idea of what you have. Because she's insisting it's low fire it may be a talc/ball clay body but it's hard to say. Best luck to ya

I have 60lbs of 04 porcelain out in the shop: frit ware that does vitrify solely due to glass content. Highly unlikely that it is 04 porcelain, but not impossible. Make a small test tile and fire it to cone 6: if it is 04 porcelain, it will self glaze (appear glossy without glaze). Place a waster slab under it, because IT WILL bond to your shelf. 

Interesting, thanks to you both!

Triolaz, I do the extremely easy reclaim for dry clay - add a 1/2 cup of water to the bag, submerge it in a bucket of water for 48-60 hours and wah-la, good as new.  Luckily, I have the space. Now, if it was used reclaim, that might be a different story.....

Archived