What Kiln? (UK)

LizzyDoggyMum

Hello folks,

I am looking at setting up a 'mobile' party painting pottery company - like the pottery cafes where you go and paint a piece of bisque(?) and then it is fired in a kiln.

I've tried (and failed!) to do research into what type of kiln I would need - so I was hoping you folks might be able to help?!

The ceramics are returned to the painter, safe for food use, and glossy - is there a gloss I would need to use before putting them in the kiln?

Is there anyone in the business that wouldn't mind giving me a few pointers??

Thanks in advance

Hello Lizzy, welcome to the forum

I used to work at such a pottery studio. We had an electric kiln (a Skutt maybe, not entirely sure). All pieces were dipped into clear glaze before firing, then fired at cone 06 if I remember well. I don't know how "mobile" you want this to be but you will need quite a bit of space to store the pieces before and after glazing, as well as after firing. Typically we had people come back 4 days after painting to pick up their pieces. We had to fire the kiln everyday or twice a day, that would be a lot of work for just one person but I guess it depends on the size of the business you want to set up.

Also what kind of pieces would people paint on? That is again some extra space you will need.

What Judith said.  An electric kiln.  And a clear gloss glaze.  Go to a pottery painting place and have a good nose around and see what they use.  Local place to me use underglazes in large bottles, but I've no idea which brand they use.  Just googled to see if I could find a picture I recognised, but no luck.

Archived