Danish Matte Glaze Recipe?

HI there, I have really been loving the look of the matte glazes that Danish based Eric Landon and Karin Blach Nielsen use. I was wondering if anybody had ideas for recipes to look at? I haven't come across the category of glaze that these glazes would fall under. I am also super curious as to what colorants could be giving off that pinkish coral color in a few of the photos. Oh! and ideally whatever is recommended is cone 6!post-79480-0-78855500-1503434092_thumb.pngpost-79480-0-92910800-1503434065_thumb.png

post-79480-0-92910800-1503434065_thumb.png

post-79480-0-78855500-1503434092_thumb.png

Have you checked to see if there is any ceramic forums in that part of the world that are talking about them.  These look like glazes that the potters may have taken years to develop and are keeping the formulas close to their heart.  It looks like a low fire majolica type glaze to me with stains spray on them.  The glaze chemicals in Europe can have a slightly different chemical footprint than ours.  You have to do a lot of testing and redesigning the glaze to come close to the original glaze.  Maybe someone on the forum is familiar with the Landon and Nielsen's work.  Denice

Generally speaking that matte lace effect is caused by a high flux, runny glaze and a stiffer glaze layered. The high flux glaze will also matte (esp if your flux is calcium). I don't have any recipes to help, but Eric Landon regularly does workshops including a fall US tour if you're in the US.

Edit: Workshop tour dates here: http://tortus-copenhagen.com/usafall2017

felipe what exactly do you like about the look. the matte? the colours? the grainy mix...?

were you looking to make dinnerware or vases/show ware?

have you ever thought about stains? 

what do you think about the surface of Pippin Drysdale? http://www.pippindrysdale.com/she even explains her technique i think in a vimeo video. her process is fascinating.

Green_Swamp_Hills_201420140128_1000.jpg

felipe what exactly do you like about the look. the matte? the colours? the grainy mix...?

were you looking to make dinnerware or vases/show ware?

have you ever thought about stains? 

what do you think about the surface of Pippin Drysdale? http://www.pippindrysdale.com/she even explains her technique i think in a vimeo video. her process is fascinating.

Green_Swamp_Hills_201420140128_1000.jpg

Hi Preeta, firstly i wanted to thank you for introducing me to pippin's work, it is stunning! And secondly it is the grainy mix in combination with that beatiful satin-matte finish that I was wondering about. I have seen glazes similar to the ones they use but they are usually dark earth tones, not beautiful bright corals or lavender. I make a combination of dinnerware and decorative pieces but they are almost always clear glazed on the inside. Thanks again!

Archived