Cone 10 Cone 6 And Cone 06 Clay Use Locally

Mark C.

​I'm glad you are making a body that works as what I have seen is most cone 6 bodies do not work well-folks have issues with them-its well documented on this board.

Huh? Most cone 6 bodies do not work well? Where are you getting that? I think we hear about more cone 6 problems on this board because there are more people working at cone 6, not because they have more problems compared to high fire, and because more hobbyists who need help work at cone 6. If the majority of people used cone 10 bodies we would see more questions about them. I have no real problems with any of the cone 6 bodies that I use, certainly no more than the cone 10 bodies I used in the past. I can make 50 pound planters without any issues with any of the half dozen commercial cone 6 bodies I keep in inventory in my studio, including the porcelain.

I very much doubt that the future of this medium will turn on firing costs.

And if it does I will hang my head in despair...

Firing costs are a big deal. If I had to pay for propane to fire my kilns, I would have to charge at least twice as much for clay to cover the firing costs, which would definitely affect my business.

Costs matter.  I get that.  This is true for every business.   

However, if margins are so tight that firing costs begin to dictate what kind of ceramics we can and cannot do, I think that is a compromise too far.  Not saying it has never happened, but if it does maybe more than just firing costs needs a rethink?

Similarly, if we allow economic considerations to dictate what students in ceramics schools should and should not be taught, I think this misses the point of an education.  Being a student is exactly the time to be shown and experiment with everything (including the finer points of running a ceramics business).  Ultimately students need to see and contemplate the full breadth of what is on offer to make the right choices for themselves.

Finally, there still seems to be plenty of ceramics of all firing types - stoneware, midfire, raku, woodfired, gas, etc.. being sold as fine art, at least where I am at.  I don't think costs - firing or otherwise - is the primary driver for most of these fine artists (nor is money the only compensation)..  They just do what they have always done, and a few are successful and can quite their days jobs, stop depending on their partners, etc..  Very few are hard-edged business people as far as I can tell.

Archived