Questions For Airbrushing Glazes And Oxides

What?

Joseph The $60 is for the pen only. The syphon model will probably work just as good. I would think a little shake shake here and there would work. Joseph I follow you on instagram as #reidthepotter. Nice cups by the way (also digging those dots). I too am into the yunomi cup form and trying to achieve a layering of colors and highlights across the form. My brush strokes not so great. But using an airbrush along with some stencils might help me to decorate to a level I can appreciate.

Nice. I just followed you(I like those xxx jugs). I don't spend much time on instagram, once in the morning and once in the afternoon. I don't follow many people as most people put to much personal stuff in their feeds and I don't really like seeing pictures of random selfies. 

Anyways. Thanks about my cups. I like the dots as well, they are of significance to me personally. I have them in my stamp as well. 

As far as the application goes, I find application of glazes to be the most important part of glaze work. I am always looking for new ways to do things. I recently just posted an experiment I had talked about in the news feed. The new method for applying a glaze to those yunomi. I think it will look good. Kiln is cooling now so I will post the follow up to it even if it doesn't look great. 

I think the air brush will be really nice for adding coloring to my work. I use an atomizor for a lot of my detail work like the fake ash and the colorants I put over it. It gets annoying. If I could get an air brush to do the same work then it would be a lot better. I am not buying any new equipment right now as I have plans to buy a lot of clay soon and I need to save for that shipping cost. But once I start officially selling pots again, which should be very soon then I will probably buy one with that profit. I will post a follow up here once I test and use it a few times. It wont be for months though probably.

A little off topic here but I find a large natural sponge with big porous holes dipped in glaze and then applied over a pot adds a really beautiful natural pattern that doesn't look man made. Just an FYI if your looking for that kind of stuff.

Keep in mind I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about carbon trap but after looking at photos it occurs to me that maybe you could use a toothbrush dipped in oxide to flick it on the surface? We've used that technique to make splatter pottery before and you can get it pretty fine. Might be worth a try, is low tech and super cheap. ;) 

Archived