Firing ^5 Slip Cast Forms With Bisque ^06 Or ^04 ?

Hello everyone!

I have never done mid range firings before.I am not sure what would be the best temperature to do bisque firing to Laguna S-965  (Cone 5) Slip Cast pieces.

The size of the pieces 14"dia x 9 height" ,  3D  hallow round forms

I have an old  front load ,updraft, 9 cubic feet, propane gas kiln with 4 burners on the bottem.

Would be ^06  bisque to fragile for glazing ? Or 04 would be better?  

Also what would  be your recommendations for temperature ramp since the pieces are very thin and fairly big?

I would really appreciate for your opinions.

Thank you very much! 

I would bisque at 06 since its stoneware -I like 08 or porcelain-many here seem to like 04-not sure why?

The main thing is how it will affect your glaze application -meaning what you are use to?Hotter bisque means less glaze uptake lower more glaze uptake on bisque ware.

Go very slow in that updraft for bisquing-all updrafts fire uneven and you will find its hotter on the bottom than the top. 

It will be hard to go slow with 4 burners on low so make sure the work is very dry 1st.

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your quick reply!

I didn't have cones to place in the kiln but I will put it in the glaze firing forsure to see the bottom part temperature of the kiln! Good advice ,thank you!

I used a digital thermocouple to watch the kiln this time. It was also my first test firing with this new kiln.

After I wrote the post here ,I called Laguna clay to ask for recommended bisque temperature for S-965 and they said ^06 as well.

I was doing  the firing yesterday and the firing  took me 13 hours to reach ^06 

I am manually controlling the kiln from the valves and every other hour monitoring it and tried to not exceed the temperature of 100F per hour till 1470

After I reached to 1470 I started to open the valves more (watching the burner flames)  and let the heat rise approx.200 per hour and  soaked 20 min.

I think that was the hardest part to try to keep the temp. on ^06 for 20 min. And of course I wasn't able to stay on the targetted temp.:))

It is a new size kiln for me and I am a beginner with high firings:))

Let's see how the ^5 glazing will turn out, I would keep you updated and post pictures of the pieces! 

Gracias!

other than the top vent wide open you could also crack the door to keep it slow and cool at the start of a bisque fire.

I have a 12 cubic foot updraft but do not bisque in it.-I do a glaze firing in it.

Archived