Kiln Vent Question

Hi all,

I have have. recently had an Orton kiln vent installed on my Norman Kiln. My question to you all is does anyone have experience with glazes fired before and after vent installation? I fire to cone 6 and had some favorite glazes which now look like mud after installing the vent. I am wondering if I made a mistake in mixing the glazes or if the vent changed the fire that much. In the mean time I am trying an experiment and re-firing to cone 7 to see if I get similar results as before the vent was installed... I don't know, I am a novice grasping at straws here.

Thanks,

best,

-Mary

Some glazes will show a difference between vented and non-vented, although usually they are brighter rather than muddier. Make sure you have the proper number of holes in the floor of the kiln, and be sure to close all the peep holes. Put some cones in the kiln to make sure there's not some other problem going on. The kiln will cool slightly faster with the vent, so that may be the cause of the difference. You may want to add a slow cooling segment to your firing program to counteract that. It doesn't need to be much. I do a rate of 175F/Hr down to 1500. Glazes that can come out muddy at times, like iron reds, will definitely benefit from the slower cooling.

Archived