Fusing Glass to Bisque?

Guest The Unknown Craftsman

This topic often comes up on this forum , and here are some past answers :

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/810-firing-glass-scraps-and-stoneware/

http://ceramicartsdaily.org/community/topic/108-crushed-glass-and-ceramics/

There are more, but just try searching for 'glass' and see how far you get.blink.gif

Coat the inner parts of your piece with clear glaze...will work like a glue. Place your piece on thin-fire shelf paper on top of an unglazed tile or kiln shelf since you will be building directly on it.

Start mounding your frit in to the voids. Think ANTHILL. Mound it up then spray it with aqua net or rave pump hair spray...those will burn out clean...and helps your fritted work from spilling while moving into the kiln.

You will more than likely have cracking and crazing since the COE of glass and clay don't jive...however i have had glass stick in my molds due to lack of separator and they don't release. The glaze itself should help keep your glass onto the clay. Fire to ^06.

Good luck...it is a crap shoot really.

Best,

Karoline

Back in the early seventies I messed around with glass for a while, one of my projects was tiles with a recessed ring in them. Each ring I filled with broken bottle glass and fired them to C 04, they turned out great. They didn't have a lot of info on glass firing in those days but I remember that you kept the peep hole plugs in and did',t open it for 48 hours. My first firing was ruined because my husband didn't believe it and cracked the lid after 24 hours and you could hear everything breaking. Now there is a lot more info on firing glass out there, but I would run some test before I tried it on the final piece. Denice

Archived