Venting A Basement With A Kiln

RBS

Hi, I want to get a Skutt kiln with the Envirovent in my basement. I'm concerned about the heat in the room. The room has 2 doors and a small (1 by 3F) window. Do I need to put some kind of exhaust to keep the temperature bellow 100F so that the kiln's computer doesn't shut down? Skutt claims that the room needs to stay bellow 105F so that the computer doesn't get damaged.

Do other people have fans  when firing in the basement? what temperature does the room reach? I'm planning on firing to cone 6 on a Skutt KM1027 6CF or KM1222 8CF, both with 3 inch wall.

Also the room is 13 by 23F, so fairly large.

I'll appreciate any advice from people with the same situation.

Put a fan in the window that blows outward in order to exhaust the hot air, and make sure fresh air is coming in. If you have both kilns running, the room will definitely heat up, but it shouldn't get to 105F. If it gets too hot, the controller will shut down the kiln. You could also aim a small fan at the controller to keep it cool.

I have my electric kilns outside in a concrete kiln shed with a steel roof. My two exhaust fans are set to turn on at 120. I do as Neil suggests and have a fan blowing on the control panel. Often, the exhaust fans near the 12 foot ceiling will run during the day down here just from the daily temps. I usually open the doors for a cross draft. I live in the southmost point of Texas.

You kiln will give off heat. A good exhaust fan will need a source for make up air. So you may need to open a door.

Marcia

Thanks! It's just one kiln, not two, sorry if my description was confusing. But I guess it will still get hot. I have  a regular bathroom vent there that only moves 110CFM, but hopefully it will be enough. So sounds like most people don't install an exhaust fan that moves 500CFM like some websites suggest.

Thanks!

Archived