Plaster Bats

I have just started throwing and I have four plaster bats for my wheel. I threw a bunch of pieces but soon my bats were saturated so I washed and let sit for a few days to dry. I guess I thought they'd dry much faster (Like over night) because every day I check to see if I can throw again and it's been three days and they are still not dry enough. I tried today but the clay would not grip the bat so had to clean up and the waiting starts all over again now since I got them wet again. What's the best way to work with plaster bats?

Thanks!

-impatient Mary :)

It is not necessary to wash the bats after a work session, just use a blunt wooden tool or plastic putty knife to remove any remaining clay before lifting it off the wheel head, be careful not to gouge out any plaster. Use a damp sponge to clean any remaining hard to reach places.

It is always a good idea to clean up the bat surface as you throw. But since you have washed them, prop the bats like books, on paper towels, on the sill of an open window or in front of a fan, leaving space between them, and let the moving air dry them. Give the bats an 180Ëš turn periodically, until they are dry.

Also, it is a good idea to have lot of bats; much more than you think you will ever need, so you will always have some ready for your throwing sessions.

How frustrating!

I never had enough bats of any kind, so I went and purchased a sheet of 1/4" masonite, also called hardboard. I have found a source of double sided masonite now, but back then, I couldn't find it. I used regular masonite, and cut it into 9" or 10" squares. Drill holes in opposite corners and you have a very servicible bat. Don't let them stew in water, but you can throw with as much water as you need. Try to keep them flat.

The best part is that masonite is cheap- less than $12.00 per sheet, on average- and you can cut 40 bats from one sheet, and have some left over for small ware boards. If you have to have round bats, you can cut them with a jig saw. You can't get as many boards from one sheet, but that is o.k.

Also, one of the real positive aspects of the 9" square boards is that I can put 4 boards into the space one large round bats takes up. That means my shelf space goes a lot farther!

How frustrating!

I never had enough bats of any kind, so I went and purchased a sheet of 1/4" masonite, also called hardboard. I have found a source of double sided masonite now, but back then, I couldn't find it. I used regular masonite, and cut it into 9" or 10" squares. Drill holes in opposite corners and you have a very servicible bat. Don't let them stew in water, but you can throw with as much water as you need. Try to keep them flat.

The best part is that masonite is cheap- less than $12.00 per sheet, on average- and you can cut 40 bats from one sheet, and have some left over for small ware boards. If you have to have round bats, you can cut them with a jig saw. You can't get as many boards from one sheet, but that is o.k.

Also, one of the real positive aspects of the 9" square boards is that I can put 4 boards into the space one large round bats takes up. That means my shelf space goes a lot farther!

Archived