Rolling Coils

Zuni

To roll a coil evenly you should use both hands, flat with fingers slightly spread. Start with both hands in the center and as you roll, slowly move them all the way to the ends.

Slow gentle pressure. If this is confusing, there are some videos on u tube that show the process.

Thank you - I'm sure if I practice enough it will all come together. I'm pretty sure - as you say - that it's an uneven pressure thing!

It can also be just getting used to a very soft clay .. You might need to slow down and feel what's happening when it starts. It happens to me sometimes when I am rushing to get a bunch made.

Just another thought here on rolling out the coils. I always told the kids that the pressure applied to the coil wasn't important-no pressure-just enough to roll the coil. What makes the coil longer and thinner is the motion against the table.

There are some clay bodies that will not roll into itself. I am not specifying the clay that you are using, for I do not know it. One clay manufacturer I know actually recommends not using a particular one of their clays for coil building, it simply will not coil. Check with the manufacturer and see if they list the recommended uses for the clay body that you are using.

You can also extrude your coils instead of rolling them out by hand.

Archived