tenth anniversary of 9/11 Installation, Brownsville, TX

This piece will be on display from Aug. 15- Sept. 15 at the International Technology, Education, Commerce Center (ITECC) of the University of Texas at Brownsville. There are 45 paperclay book forms included in this installation.

For the Tenth Anniversary of 9/11

"A Remembrance: Every Life is a Book"

As a nation we shared the heavy loss of civilian lives on September 11. We suffered grief for months as search and rescue teams continued to filter through debris looking for the remains of the people who perished. I believe Mayor Giuliani expressed the magnitude of our loss in that every life, every person is a story. Every day more stories appeared in the newspapers with photographs of people missing..

As an artist I searched for a way to expressed this. I have reproduced the image of a book in clay adding pages that gently turned up as if blown by the wind to reveal the story's progress. These stories were abruptly ended. These books have been burned as if censored. Each one tells a story illegible but symbolic of what has survived out of the ashes- the memories of those we lost.

- Marcia Selsor

Archived