Firing West Coast Updraft Kiln

I am finally able to fire my wonderful West Coast Updraft kiln. We need help on regulating the heat...rose way too fast on first attempt last week...we are open to all ideas and look forward to being successful. When the kiln arrived there wasn't any manual...Chuck had offered to come to our home near Sacramento, Ca to help us. Years later, now that we are able to use our kiln, I can't contact West Coast Kilns and sadly learned of Chick's passing. Any help is most appreciated...thank you, Mountain Meg

When loading my updraft I put a broken shelve about 2 inches from flue exit to sloww down heat /flame rise.

Do this hwile loading.

Next fire slow at 1st and keep damper 1/3 in over hole

I assume you are firing to cone 10?

if so after 1800 degrees put kiln into slight reduction and keep it that way until the top cones get to where to want them.

I stack my hot glazes in bottom and cool glazes on top as most updrafts fire hot bottoms and cool tops.

Load it for that.

Mark

With up draft kilns how much difference from bottom to top?

is this normal performance for all up draft kilns? How consistent is outside shelf to inside shelf?

I've read that certain glazes need reduction at 1350?

I've never fired gas, but am planning on converting a kiln this month.

How do you determine slight reduction from moderate to heavy without oximiter?

Lou

The outer pots that sit in the flame paths of my updraft get lots more heat than those inside

The kiln is at least a cone to two apart top to bottom.I do not put cones in the bottom anymore and only fire cones on top as thats what I need to get to temperature-the bottom is loaded with glazes that can take a few cones hotter.

As to reduction you learn this by doing-reading things like flame lick at bottom spy plugs and back presure and flue settings.

This takes time and is a hands on skill.I do have a few oxyprobes but in my 40 some years I have only had these for the past 15 years and can still do this by the seat of my pants which is the way you need to learn it.

Mark

Archived