New Ceramic Program

Howdy - I'm starting a new ceramics program at my high school (Title I in Dallas) and wanted your suggestions as to the bare minimums I need to get the kids started. I've got just under 200 students for 6 weeks each/approx. 30 teaching days.

What do I need? (clay, kiln, glazes, etc.)

How much do I need?

Major equipment needed?

other?

Thank you so very much - I appreciate your valued expertise on this!

Howdy - I'm starting a new ceramics program at my high school (Title I in Dallas) and wanted your suggestions as to the bare minimums I need to get the kids started. I've got just under 200 students for 6 weeks each/approx. 30 teaching days.

How much do I need?

Major equipment needed?

other?

WOW! You don't ask too much at one time do you. Maybe we should start by asking what sort of budget do you have, what sort of equipment do you have, and what sort of skills do you have. How long is the class period, how much storage for work in progress do you have, and how do you intend to finish the pieces. Answering these questions will help others here to give you a reasonable framework for your curriculum. Speaking of that, is it written yet? Please return with information so that you can get a start on things.

I would agree with Pres. That is a big ball of wax. I think the best bet is to find a local pottery/ceramists who can look at your physical space and help you directly. It kind of behooves me to see someone take a job like this without knowing the questions to these answers. But the clay community is quite helpful and I am sure you will find some good feedback if you ask specific questions related to specific outcomes and as Pres said what do you know and how much is your budget?

• 2 months later...

How much do I need?

Major equipment needed?

other?

WOW! You don't ask too much at one time do you. Maybe we should start by asking what sort of budget do you have, what sort of equipment do you have, and what sort of skills do you have. How long is the class period, how much storage for work in progress do you have, and how do you intend to finish the pieces. Answering these questions will help others here to give you a reasonable framework for your curriculum. Speaking of that, is it written yet? Please return with information so that you can get a start on things.

Ceramic Syllabus.doc

Ceramic Syllabus.doc

How much do I need?

Major equipment needed?

other?

As I have never taught a college course in Ceramics, I am not one to make much comment on your "syllabus". That said, I could make a few suggestions from the standpoint of a high school teacher that taught for Ceramics for 34 years.

1) Is this course to be an introductory course, a beginning course, intermediate, or advance.

2) Considering the level of the course, what would you expect students to get out of the course. EX an introductory course may have a smattering of handbuilding techniques, some coverage of the 4 basic wet clay decoration techniques, some coverage of stains and glazing, and some experience at the potters wheel. All of these to be covered with as much exposure as possible to design, and aesthetics.

3) What criteria would be used for grading work, and student achievement, and attitude. Some teachers grade on just one aspect, I prefer to try to cover more. Will you be using Rubrics to help the students understand your grading policy?

4)What time, space or material limitations exist that would influence your classroom structure. EX some studios are able to make work and not fire until the last few weeks of class, others due to space restraints fire as they go. Benefits to both, but completely different in the way the course may turn out for the individual student.

There are a lot of other factors considered for a syllabus, but these are just a few that come to mind of a lowly HS art teacher.

• 1 month later...

How much do I need?

Major equipment needed?

other?

• 3 weeks later...

How much do I need?

Major equipment needed?

other?

Hello, I know you posted this in January and was wondering how you were getting along with your new ceramics program? I have done a lot of work with Art Educators these past few years and can offer some really cool projects if your interested.

Archived