Is Black Oxide The Same As Black Iron Oxide

vivk

Hi all

my local hardware store sells a product called Black Oxide which is used to colour cement.

Has anyone tried this is a glaze recipe?
I dont know the chemical formula as their product website does not give that information, only that it is derived from anthracite and coal. 

So I dont know if it can be used for glaze? Can anyone help?

Without a chemical analysis its impossible to say exactly whats in that "black oxide".

We can make some guesses as to content based on the anthracite/coal makeup. Anthracite is a type of coal and they are combustible and may contain a fair amount of sulfur . This could be bad in an electric kiln or indoors.

Not sure it will be of much use.

Vivk;

Back in the day we used a cement colourant as a substitute for red iron oxide. It was a lot cheaper, but it was also weaker in strength, so you had to use more.

Some of these things work, but require testing. The coal would burn out and would not affect the colour of the glaze.

test,test,test.

TJR.

Guest JBaymore

Anthracite and coal are themselves black substances. For cement... that will certainly color the cement. They get the black mainly from CARBON compounds. Put carbon in a kiln and take it up to combustion temperature ... and it burns to carbon dioxide... a colorless gas. So likely...... not much in there that is ceramically active coloring chemistry... unless they have in gredienmts that they are not stating (quite possible).

best,

..............john

Archived