Why Is Our Work Better Than Imported Work?

Stephen you've always been very decent, in no way have you offended, I don't think you ever would either, I agree with your post.  Sorry I hadn't given you confidence to know that you needn't interpret that in that way, it wasn't directed to your comment specifically, it was directed to more extreme analogy that seemed in conversation to be somewhat overly candid toward my perspective, which I take very seriously indeed.  My bad.  Yeah you're right Benzine. And they're very important guys to the realm of ceramics;  In that regard, i certainly stand corrected.  Thank you for guiding me to the clarification.  Apologies for not having made my respect more clear. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this discussion points out very clearly why our work is better than imported work. The discussion mentioned food safe glazes. I'm not sure that the people who sell the cheap imports from China have any idea whether the glazes used are food safe or not. The discussion also touched on ethical considerations, improving knowledge and  technical skill, and also aesthetics. I don't think that these are the primary concerns of the market driven, import industry. As such, there is no desire to change anything, as long as a line is maintaining sales, and what changes that might be made will be pretty well within a range that will sell.

The people in this forum differ greatly in knowledge, skill level, and technique. It is pretty obvious that our work is important to us. We all seem to have in common is a desire that our pieces be worthwhile and reflect our creativity. We strive to get better and try to come closer to producing that piece that exists only in our minds eye. To me, that makes all the difference in the world.

The direction this thread has taken is one which I’ve seen happen a few times in the past couple years. Someone with great passion for working in clay takes umbrage with a reply or critique of what they have said. Emotions get involved, things get taken personally and the conversation goes downhill from there.

I think that what is so very important to remember is that we are all just expressing our opinions, nothing is written in stone. Some of us have more life experience than others, be it with marketing, chemistry, design or so forth. The crux of the matter is to endure in this field you need to eat, sleep and breathe clay; it is such a ruthless career to be in that it’s very hard to succeed unless you feel that way. It is because we are so involved with clay that our comments are perhaps at times so abrupt.

Patsu, you are obviously very passionate about clay. With all due respect, so are all the people who have replied to your posts.  They are only trying to broaden your perspective as you are with them. Some of us are a titch more gruff than others but everyone’s heart is in the right place.

There are many, many wonderful sharing people on these forums,  I urge you to stick with it, there is no such thing as wasted knowledge and there is plenty to learn here. 

Archived