• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrpeders

mrpeders

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:43 PM

I handbuilt a bowl and airbrushed it with amoco blue rutile(cone 5) potter's choice on red stone cone 5 clay.  This was my first attempt at airbrushing, and the glaze went on smoothly without spotting for 3 coats. there was no hint of blue after firing. There was also fine spatter on the shelf after firing.   From reading past posts, I realize that the piece had no blue because the glaze was too thin.  Two questions:  1) Can I heat the bowl, reairbrush with more blue rutile and gain some of the blue variation I was hoping for? 2) How can you tell when a glaze is thick enough when you airbrush?  Thank you for you knowledge and willingness to share.

• BRL likes this

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 22 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

Airbrush or brush, or dip, or pour thickness should be about the thickness of thumbnail. What will it hurt to try and thicken up the glaze. Warm the pot up, spray more glaze on, and re-fire. Re-firing will not hurt most glazes, but some special effect glazes will lose their effects-oil spots in particular.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,131 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

Airbrushing goes on very slowly. Glaze sprayers have a higher volume. Follow Pres' directions to get a thicker on your
piece and refire.
Marcia

#4 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:55 PM

I think the Potter's Choice glazes are the ones people keep saying need to be really thick for good results, so that could be part of the problem. Read the following.

http://community.cer...-choice-glazes/
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users