maya

post-61572-0-44788500-1387326490_thumb.jpg

I am a beginning potter and as a result, my creations often get ahead of my experience, especially where glaze is concerned.  This past week, I made a tile and on it I placed a tree I formed from twisted pieces of clay.  I was very pleased with it until I realized that I had no idea how to glaze it.  After much consideration, I decided to glaze the tree with a dark color, rub off most of it (with dark glaze staying in the creases), and then glaze all of it (tree and background) the same lighter color.

However, in the future, were I to want to glaze the sky and tree in two different colors, what would be the best sequence of events and materials to use?

What concerned me the most was that no matter whether I chose to glaze the tree or the background first, I couldn't see how to avoid contaminating the other space.

Thanks for any and all suggestions and ideas!

Maya

post-61572-0-44788500-1387326490_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

i would not bother with latex.You can glaze this tile with two colors easily enough.

You could glaze the tree first, with a brush. load the brush up and  float the brush over the surface, then clean any drips off the background area. Then glaze the background either with brushing, bulb applicater or pouring.

you can tilt the tile and pour around the tree, squeeze bulb glaze onto the surface, or use a large mop brush. these different techniques may gove different visual effect depending on the glaze, but those can be of interest. once you get the hang of it, the bulb or pour method will give the most consistent glaze application, while the brush techniques may add variation but interest. totally depends on the glaze and what you want.

or reverse it. Glaze the background first then the tree. if you drip any tree glaze onto the already glazed background, simply clean off the drips gently with an exacto knife or razor blade. or use some wax resist around the perimeter of the tree to easily clean up the drips there.

good luck!

Stephani Stephenson

http://www.revivaltileworks.com

http://www.archi-terracotta.com

Thank you Steph for your ideas......... they sound good, and best of all, they sound like something I could easily do. Glazing the tree first sounds best to me----I'll try it!

BTW, visited your website ----absolutely gorgeous tiles!  

Archived