How To Actually Support Yourself

Railroads, what is a mississippi?

Some great advice here. One thing to add, long term goals/plans. You then need to give your plan test time. I have 1 year, 3, 5, and 10 year goals. How much am I willing to sacrifice? Selling my 3300 square ft house and moving to another state. For now I work on my skills. I'm optimistic on an improving economy in 4 to 5 years.

"What is a Mississippi"

A Mississippi shaped ornament.    To hang on Christmas trees or whatever.  Seems like many of them are for "whatever".  We have 2 sizes:  4.5 inches $5 and 3 inch $3.   My niece that works for me came up with the $3 size because she got a small cookie cutter in a pageant as one of the many Mississippi shaped objects in her gift bag.  I wasn't too excited about the $3 size (really don't even care for the $5 size either).  BUT we've sold around 3k of the $3 one since October.   We just have them in baskets.   Just this week one customer bought 11 of the $3 and another customer ordered 50 of them.   We've only sold about 1k of the $5 last year.

It's more than just a touristy thing, it appeals to state pride.  All things "Mississippi" are selling briskly, which has increased partly due to that newscaster referring to Mississippi as "the land between Louisiana and Alabama."  (amazing what things generate marketing opportunities)

Nothing particularly artistic about them,  they just generate extra sales, which helps me cover my payroll.  And we're not the only ones that make these.  But then we have no retail outlets and sell at wholesale to public.  Which explains why we probably sell a lot more of these.

post-8500-0-84917900-1389310032_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-84917900-1389310032_thumb.jpg

Archived