Twisted Pot Question

I put a large dog bowl in the bottom of the kiln and didn't support the bottom equally, only 2/3 of it and basically half of it was unsupported and now the bowl has a slight twist in it. It was a cone 5 glaze firing. Would it flatten out if I put it back in properly supported during my next glaze firing or would the glaze just mess up from being fired twice?

thanks capt don

Sadly, the answer is really "it depends". Some glazes don't respond well to multiple firings bc they flux (flow) too much, or some other chemical reason. Some do just fine.

And some clays are generally stiff during maturation firing, some sag a lot.

If you do want to try refiring it, I'd recommend putting it on a flat catch plate (can be made of the same clay) just in case the glaze runs off the side.

Dito to mregeko... If the clay was fired to maturity it will stay put, but if you have room give it a try The glaze will probably stay put if there is no evidence of pooling ot flow on the pot. Put somthing under it though.

I've fired a lot of pots twice to try and correct glaze problems and a few were improved. Most were not.

Archived