Example Of Short Writing Assgiment In Japanese Ceramic Art History.

Guest JBaymore

I agree Babs, it would be a seemingly never-ending discussion, we best pull back on the reigns.  Not much will be accomplished here, since we are all on the same page anyway.  Sadly, the people, who we'd like to listen, really don't.  I will give credit to my district's Superintendent though.  He meets with each building once a month, for an optional sit down, to give us an update, on things going on, as well as to ask us about anything that's one our minds.  I've never had that with other Supers. 

In regards to writing, I will keep incorporating it, into my classroom.  My Photo/ Advanced Photo students, are required to do a write up for their portfolios, and I've done written project critiques in the past.  We always do a verbal critique, but I'm leaning towards, having them write it out first.  It has always been ungraded, just a check, no check, but I may also give them some points for it as well.  My big concern isn't so much their writing ability with the critique, though it is a nice bonus, but instead just getting them to express their ideas behind the process and projects.  I still remember Freshmen year in college, and doing the critiques there.  No one wanted to speak up.  I hope my students, who go into the field, are more confident, and ready to give feedback.  This isn't a bad skill for all my other students to have either.  Nothing wrong with knowing how to provide constructive criticism to others, and especially themselves. 

We've become a Disneyland nation, pampered and self indulgent. 17 trillion bucks in debt with politicians on both sides kicking the can to the next generation.

Samson has pulled the pillars of the modern age down upon us, it's simply the roof has yet to hit.

The sad truth is that this generation we are discussing, could care less.They have nothing invested to make them care.

As Yogi Berra once said "When you come to a fork in the road, take one"

And Bob Dylan said,"Don't think twice, it's alright"

Next year on the forum, be safe and play in the clay.

Wyndham

I'm not sure it matters what second language students learn.  We had a choice of Spanish, French, German or Latin.  But the global scene has changed since then. But unless it's used conversationally, nothing is really learned.

I have no interest in bygone rules of sentence construction, punctuation or Austrians who claim not to understand standard German,even though they do.

But even though language in use changes, you're left out of far too many opportunities if you only speak pidgin or pocho.

A few years ago we were on a flight to Guadalajara Mexico and two latin teens living in California seated next to us needed help in understanding a form we needed to fill out in English.  Later in the flight they needed my assistance explaining what the flight attendant was saying in Spanish. Being lost between two languages speaking neither of them is not very functional.

Middle English, like Chaucer, is doable with footnotes, but old English like Beowulf is a completely different language.  I still remember part of one line, I have no idea why.

Scolde Grendel fleon under fenhleoou, secean wynleas wic.

Should Grendel fleeing under the fen banks seeking available refuge.

It turns out to be lines 819 through 821  http://www8.georgetown.edu/departments/medieval/labyrinth/library/oe/texts/a4.1.html

Incidentally, there's a great new biligual version of Beowulf by Seamus Heaney  http://www.amazon.com/Beowulf-Verse-Translation-Bilingual-Edition/dp/0393320979/

The problem with language and writing, is that it is a constantly changing "organism".  It advances, it evolves.  I was talking with one of the English teachers in my school, about text language.  I joked about it becoming ingrained into our language.  He then pointed out that English is a very different beast, than it was one, two hundred years ago.  Look at Old, Old English, it is almost unidentifiable as the English language. 

Then we have rules for sentence construction, punctuation, spelling, that are not only confusing to begin with, but in some cases have been changed and disregarded, without telling anyone. 

o

Wow Norm, that Old English is nearly incomprehensible, much like today's internet/ texting shorthand

Chinese.  The coming century will be the Chinese Century.

best,

..................john

I agree to some extent John. The Chines are definitely at the forefront, though they do have some competition. India, and Eastern Europe.

Years ago, some honcho in the state had an obsession of sorts with an educational consultant of sorts, named Daggett. The state paid the man a good chunk of money to lecture around the state. My district at the time, watched a video of his speech during a meeting, but later attending his lecture live. It was redundant as he said the exact same thing, and we let school out early just to go.

The summary of his lecture is that technology is changing fast, and we need to prepare our students. Also, our jobs have been shipped to places like China, India and Eastern Europe. The people here are willing to work and study hard, to improve their situation. Very informatice lecture, but he provided no solution(s).

Guest JBaymore

Having just been in China... I was totally astounded by what I saw.  It was nothing like what I had expected from my impressions created from afar.  Most of that "astounded" was in a rather positive direction.  The only two things that were "worse" than I expected were the air pollution.... which was so unbelievable it defies description....and the almost universal road-rage kind of driving to beat ALL US road-rage driving. 

While we hear that China's economy is now "in trouble" here in the US........ it sure looked like things were thriving pretty well over there.  And we were not "handled" and shown only "the good stuff" while there.  We got to see plenty of abject poverty....... but go to Appalachia in the US and you'll see the same exact thing.

The combination of a fast growing middle class with a lot of disposable income, a MASSIVE population, lax environmental laws and concerns, the holding of a huge portion of the US's debt, and a really serious entrepaneurial attitude will drive them to the forefront in the world soon. 

China is kind of poised where the US was following the WWII era; ready to grow exponentially with a huge market to drive that expansion.  I think Europe has really had its day, unfortunately (for us Americans) America too, China will be next, and then India will follow. Africa is the "sleeper"... and likely will eventually follow India ..... if we don't all blow oursevles up or pollute ourselves off the planet before then.

If China is not the next world leader super-power...... it will be because they are all dying young from the effects of air (and other) pollution.

As to "solutions"... I don't think there are any.  Now that we are all interconnected, I think it is based on the global normal "business cycle".

best,

..........................john

Very good points John. I've often discussed with my Dad, about how US companies have shipped their jobs overseas. He doesn't think the significantly lower wages are the reason. He blames the tough EPA regulations, that cost companies a bit of cash. I have little doubt this part of the reason, they go elsewhere. But it isn't the hassle of implementing the regulations the companies are avoiding. It is the cost. Going overseas, they get to double dip. They pay way less for workers, and don't have to follow nearly as many regulations. Case in point, China's air and water pollution. India is also pretty bad. Eventually, decades down the road, companies will have painted themselves in a corner. These emerging economies will be more developed, and will be asking for greater wages, and preservation of their environment. I hope that day comes sooner rather than later, so we don't permanentaly damage the Earth beforehand.

Guest JBaymore

Eventually, decades down the road, companies will have painted themselves in a corner. These emerging economies will be more developed, and will be asking for greater wages, and preservation of their environment. I hope that day comes sooner rather than later, so we don't permanentaly damage the Earth beforehand.

They already have painted themselves into a corner, at least with US consumers, I think.  We (as a society) have pretty well demonstrated we want "cheap".  Quantity over quality.  The "miracle" of Walmart. 

The impact of the changes in emerging economies as they strengthen is already happening.  The garment industry is the current prime example of this.  The location for the manufacture of such goods changes like the wind.  One day it is in an area of China... as they demand higher wages or include increased costs...... suddenly the production picks up and moves to Vietnam... then to Cambodia... then to Laos... then to Bangaladesh... then to ????????  And thise moves often are based in changes of only pennies per item....and whole groups of workers are then left high and dry as their jobs disappear.  There was a great piece on this recently on NPR.  Very sad.

What happens when we reach the end of cheap labor and places that will let manufacturers destroy the environment?

best,

.......................john

PS: Note to Moderator self............ we are getting way off the original topic and heading into an area that COULD start to digress seriously into the area of "politics"........ so ...... let's all try to keep the discussion civil..... and maybe start to steer it back onto something NEAR the original topic........ that had something to do with writing and education :) .

Guest JBaymore

.................., but I'll specifically report you to the one from the Glaze Board.  That guy is a real hard ass!

I've heard that.  ;)

best,

.......................john

Archived