6 replies to this topic

#1 rkincaid

rkincaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

What interesting found objects are people using to add texture to clay? 

#2 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Are you asking about tools and other items used to put texture on the surface of a ware, or additives to the clay body to give it more texture?

#3 rkincaid

rkincaid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Just looking for ideas to stamp texture on the surface.

#4 sivamc

sivamc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

I've used buttons, jewelry, the wheels on toy cars and trucks, lace, cut work (as on linens), a sewing tracing wheel and the ends of paint brushes, pens, and other tools.

#5 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:37 PM

Roll some Manila Rope on it.

Ala jomon period

A la Tatsuz┼Ź Shimaoka

Pine needles
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#6 Isculpt

Isculpt

Inexperienced but eager

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

I posted the same question a while back.  This link should take you to that conversation, where I got lots of helpful ideas about creating texture. 

http://ceramicartsda...random-texture/

#7 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:33 AM

When I think of stamped or impressed decoration, I express it as pattern. I have used a variety of materials to create patterns that include clay/wood/metal stamps many times hand made or carved by myself. Other materials I use for patterns include lace, floor mats, table mats, buttons, machine parts(gears, pulleys etc.), pieces of typewriters, adding machines, computer printers, and old printing presses. I use commercial materials from cake decorating tools, fimo clay tools, and a variety of artist brushes and tools. Nothing is sacred when it comes to creating regular or irregular patterns in the clay. As far as adding texture, I have rolled puts in hay chaff, uncooked rice, wheat, or oatmeal, even added oatmeal and wheat to my throwing bodies to see what happened there. I have carved a series of paddles used by the HS students that would add great varied patterns to the coil pottery and to some of the slab work.

Lately I have been exploring the creation of wooden frames with modelling paste texture/pattern inside carving through this with a dremel tool and then rolling the slabs into the frame for complete side walls of slab pots to be used in combination with thrown feet, necks and lids. It is a slow process, and one that takes a lot of work to make just one piece, so I am trying to do multiples or find ways of making the forms more adjustable.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users