Bisque Distorting Pot

I would think that you will be okay- depending on a couple of things.

If the vase is round, you will probably get support from the curve, like an arch. So I wouldn't think it would distort.

If it is square or rectangular, you might have a problem, especially if the sides are thin(ish). Any side longer than four inches or so

might sag, and this might or might not be acceptable.

I have laid many round vases on their sides for bisque, and have not had a problem, bisquing to 04.

I think everyone tries to fit in as much as possible in a kiln run, only makes sense, no?

Here's Cynthia Bringle's bisque, at the bottom of the page:

http://cynthiabringl...0&max-results=7

And Gary Jackson's various kilns :

http://firewhenready...ry/kiln-firing/

If I lay a vase flat on it's side in a ^05 electric bisque fire, do I risk distorting the pot... cheap as I am trying to fit everything in??

Not a problem, I have fired 06 bisque for years in a high school situation, and stacked the pottery in any manner I could get it in. Never had a warpage problem at that temp. Now When I fired an unglazed load to cone 6 for painting-that technique was a disaster on 3 pots.

If I lay a vase flat on it's side in a ^05 electric bisque fire, do I risk distorting the pot... cheap as I am trying to fit everything in??

I have had mixed results with distortion. In the interest of saving space, I pack it in, except for plates. I really baby them so they sit nice and flat. After having a special piece warp, I glazed it anyway and put it in the hight temp firing with great results! The warped bottom reformed itself into the original shape, and I got a flat bottom out of it. Was not so lucky every time, but worth a shot!

Archived