Sign in to follow this  
BRL

Kiln wash

BRL    0

I read the article on kiln wash. Does it need to be bisque fired before using? How do you prevent sifting down of particles during glaze firing? I vacuum kiln proper to use.

Kohaku    22

Has anyone experienced glaze irregularities because of contamination from kiln wash?

I use at least one set of shelves that I had to flip (so there's now kiln wash on the bottom). I've definitely had to vacuum residue from the bottom of my kiln... but I've seen no evidence of any impact to my glaze surfaces...

PresToo    3

I don't flip shelves, unless they become warped. 1/2 shelves with proper 3 point support should not warp, hoewever, accidents happen. I a shelf needs to be flipped, scrape/grind/chip off the old kiln wash before doing so.

Marcia Selsor    1,301

Always remove all kiln wash from the shelf before you use it with the kiln was on the under side. Use a scraper then a body grinder if necessary.

Marcia

Mart    23

is it correct to assume that if your kiln wash gets so hard, you need a grinder, your kiln wash recipe must be wrong for the temperatures you use?

Benzine    609

is it correct to assume that if your kiln wash gets so hard, you need a grinder, your kiln wash recipe must be wrong for the temperatures you use?

I've never had this problem, but I would imagine so.  The kiln was should come off fairly easy, with a couple passes of a grinding stone.

Marcia Selsor    1,301

I have had this problem in college classes where the gas kilns are fired several times. At the end of every semester of if needed sooner, I cleaned off the kiln wash and whatever else was on the shelves using a 4.5 inch angle grinder.

I never did turn shelves over. Just tried to keep the wash smooth on the shelves.

Marcia